Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Whats the Best Bang for your Buck

Discussion in 'Teryx Exhaust, Dyno and Tuning Forum' started by thegrizz, Jan 31, 2015.

1. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

What is the best performance mod you can do for the least amount of money? Normally I would say clutch. But wondering if there are other better mods to consider when first diving in.

2. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven't done anything major yet, but gutting the cat is a good start and it's free. Lowers temps and increases flow. I've been tempted to get a power commander, but the rev limiters haven't really been a major issue for me.

thegrizz likes this.
  3. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

I also cut off my Cat converter, pull off muffler, cut off pipe at the neck down point, put muffler back on. Done!!! It couldn't be easier! Gives you a little deeper sound , cools temps and adds 2-3 ponies according to the experts.
    The other go to mod is Clutch work and Power Commander from Vforcejohn, I might do the PC5 from VFJ to eliminate the 50mph speed limit but honestly it's rarely ever an issue.

thegrizz likes this.
  4. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

Is VForce John the only one doing clutch work on these? He did outstanding work on my KFX700. Just curious.

5. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

VFJ for the win, I have his maps on the PCV and his clutching with weights and spring. I did the cat delete mod but just cut it off rather than gutting it. Fuel vent mod is a must! I have the Muzzy slip on and love it! It's an addiction, the list goes on and on...

TheStig and thegrizz like this.
  6. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike_D, what kind of gains have you noticed with the VFJ clutch work? I was familiar with what his work did for the Brute Force, but haven't spoke with anyone who's had it done on the T4.

Edit: I may send mine out to him after this season. He just posted, "...at 2500 miles, these clutches are 75% SHOT." Got to say that's a little discouraging. I only have about about 500 miles until I hit that point.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    MIKE_D likes this.
  7. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

I only have the spring and adjustable weights. Everything is normal at first. Then at 6mph (low) and 13mph (high) it's like direct drive over drive. Clutch is locked in and holds strong. Reminds me of a powerglide trans in a dirt track car.

mrwvsportsman, TheStig and DLB like this.
  8. shortbus

shortbus Active Member

I have the stage 3 set up for hill climes and for rock crawling, feels like he added a lower gear, you can feel when you hit 2nd. Does great with taller tires.

thegrizz, DLB and MIKE_D like this.
  9. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I spoke with John today and he said it's important to keep the CVT clean. The belt dust is killing them. I cleaned mine when I replaced the belt (nearly 2k miles). Will make a habit of cleaning it every 500 miles or so now.