Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

The Oil Thread

Discussion in 'Teryx Engine and Transmission Forum' started by TheStig, Mar 11, 2015.

?

Brand/type oil

1. OEM Kawasaki

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Amsoil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rotella T Conventional

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  4. Other conventional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Royal Purple

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. BelRay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other Synthetic

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Rotella T6

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

So oil is always a hot topic among motor heads. What oil do you use in your Teryx, and why did you choose that oil?

2. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Rotella is what I'll stick with now. It's easy to find and it works. I ran it in a Brute Force and Grizzly too. Have also used OEM oils and Amsoil. I had no issues running those fluids either, in fact I still use Amsoil in the front and rear diff. I use Rotella in my YZ as well.

TheStig likes this.
  3. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

Rotella T in engine. 90 weight in front diff. Amsoil Lower Unit Gear case oil in rear.

TheStig likes this.
  4. muddyrex

muddyrex Member

Rotella t6 in the teryx and the honda rincon. Its readily available, high quality and it works in both so I don't have to buy multiple oils.

5. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you guys use the full Synthetic Rotella T6 or T5? Also what weight do you use?

6. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I use the Rotella T 15w-40 in the Teryx.

TheStig likes this.
  7. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been running Kawi oil in mine so far, I ran the Rotella T6 in my RZR, I might go to Rotella on the Teryx at the next oil change.

8. jschmidt

jschmidt Member

The good news is that it is hard to buy a bad oil these days. All the name brands make good stuff and the Energy Conserving clutch problem is a distant memory. And any fear of the problem is easy to avoid just by avoiding 0-5W oils.

We're fortunate to live in a time when alot of "mistakes" no longer matter

TheStig likes this.
  9. muddyrex

muddyrex Member

I was mistaken. I use t6 in the boat. The Teryx and Honda get rotella t 15-40.

TheStig likes this.
  10. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm curious why not run the 5w40 T6? That is what I ran in my RZR, it just gives you better protection in cold temps. Is there any other reason I'm missing not to run the full synth T6?

11. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I was told that the regular 15w-40 is better for the clutch. This came from VFJ. He also said that he's seen a lot of engine failures from those who used synthetic. If you get a little water contamination in synthetic oil it won't allow the H2O to mix. So you end up with pure water molecules amongst unadulterated oil. When that pure water contacts the tight tolerance areas, like the journal, bad things happen. Conventional oil will actually emulsify with water, so you still have an even blend of protection, albeit slight less. Take that for what it's worth, but I've actually used T6 in the Teryx, and it seemed to do fine.

12. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

Big Kev says the same thing as VFJ. Rotalla T non-synthetic only.

13. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

A friend of mine has ran the T6 in his king quad and Grizzly for over 10,000 miles 8k on the KQ and the rest on the newer Grizz with no ill effects. I remember hearing those that said Synth would make the clutch slip in the Grizzly but I've never actually seen any evidence of it. I'd like to hear from someone who has ran T6 in a Teryx for a long time now.

14. muddyrex

muddyrex Member

I live in central Arkansas. Cold weather performance isn't really an issue. I was following advice from vfj as well. He drives his like he stole it so I figure it'll work for mine.

Magellan likes this.
  15. jschmidt

jschmidt Member

I hate to hear old myths about synthetics. Here are three truths:
    1. The brief period of clutch slippage the motorcycle industry experienced many years ago was related to oil additives. It had noting to do with whether the oil was synthetic or not. It can be completely prevented by avoiding "energy conserving" labeled oils, but even if you don't, it is unlikey to happen anymore. It didn't happen much when it was happening.
    2. Synthetic formulations don't make an engine less reliable.
    3. All the top car and bike builders use synthetics in their flagship models. All manufacturers endorse a synthetic alternative. And now 50 years of experience simply doesn't bear out claims that synthetics damage in any way.

I've never heard the one about synthetics being hydrophobic, but I do know that water evaporates from engines by the time they reaches op temp.
    Synthetic oil isn't some alien substance out to destroy civilization. It's still hydrocarbon molecules, same as regular oil. Often, it is not even more slippery. Its just more durable and more reliable under stress.
    Sometimes you have to weigh claims against reality and say, "Hey, he must be mistaken."

16. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know what guys like VFJ and Big Kev would have to gain by making that up, but that's what they claim. I've used synthetic in every car and truck I've ever owned, and even use it in my lawn equipment and dirt bike. Used it in the T4 and past ATVs as well. Never had a problem. I'm still running synthetic in a car with almost 200,000 miles on it. I won't dispute the positive attributes, but I haven't built dozens of engines like Big Kev and VFJ so I can only relay what they have said.

17. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

There's a ton of good reading on synth vs Dino oil on the bobistheoilguy.com site. Synth is proven to be superior time and time again... With that said is it necessary or particularly beneficial in a vehicle like the Teryx? That's the real question. Cost wise a gallon of Kawi's 10w40 conventional oil costs about the same as a gallon of Rotella T6 at Wal Mart, so if you take cost out of the equation then the question becomes one of not "why" but, "why not"?

Reasons for why not is really what it comes down to...
    Warranty issues?
    Clutch issues?
    Some other high tech issues?

I'm struggling to think of a good reason why not, the ones listed above are marginal at best in my opinion.

18. jschmidt

jschmidt Member

I don't believe either one of them is lying or trying to trick anyone. I just believe they are mistaken. There's nothing unique about a Teryx engine. At all.

19. muddyrex

muddyrex Member

I don't understand why everyone argues about oil? As long as you service your machine regularly and don't abuse it, pretty much any oil that is wet clutch compatible should be fine

20. jschmidt

jschmidt Member

Or even if you do abuse it. As long as you change it.