Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Teryx T2 clankity clank noise

Discussion in 'Teryx Talk' started by My 660, Oct 14, 2015.

1. My 660

My 660 New Member

You all will probably think one of two things, is this man crazy, or maybe I can help him with this obviously simple answer.

When I ride the new T2 purchased just a few weeks ago, I am hearing this mechanical clankity-clank noise when pressing the foot-feed and then letting off. NOW, having been told by several Teryx riders, the noise is normal and they all do it does make me feel a lot better.

I would like to know what is actually making the noise. The noise is very similar to the mechanical noise my 660 Grizzly made when going over a hill and when the engine braking would kick in and would cause the rear wheels to drag slightly, the same noise would clankity-clank in the rear running gear or suspension. As you all know the rear brake is not on the wheels, rather in the running gear itself, just like the 660 was. The noise is almost like a mechanical backlash sound.

Someone tell me what is this noise coming from, please...MD

2. xrrider

xrrider New Member

You have already figured out what the noise is. It is back lash in the drive train. It is created when u slow abruptly and or let of the gas completely. The rear tires are still turning the rear drive train at the faster speed and the "clunk" occurs when the rear section of the drive train catches up to the lower speed input. You can minimize it with throttle control and after a while should not even notice it. For what its worth I have a friend that just bought a new Wolverine and the "clunk" from it is much more noticeable.

My 660 likes this.
  3. My 660

My 660 New Member

xrrider, thanks for reinforcing what I was already thinking it was.

I stepped out of a RZR 800 and into a T2 and heard many sounds I was not use to hearing including the louder roar of the angled twin and the lower throaty exhaust that I like. Then onto the trail and the clankity-clank started. I felt like I basically knew what it was, I was just trying to pin-point the exact part or parts where the mechanical noise was coming from.

Kind of like asking the Teryx mechanic and him saying the noise is mostly coming from the rear brake mechanism with springs and a mount, and really can't be prevented except with good even throttle control. What you told me was exactly what I was wanting to hear. I know many who ride the Teryx and what some of them put them through. They are a rock-solid machine and I look forward to riding mine a long time...MD

4. xrrider

xrrider New Member

The noise issue can be addressed with some degree of success by removing any body panels that you can and installing Dynamat on every surface you can get to. I noticed a lot of noise coming from under the passenger seat so I sealed that area as best I could including Dynamat on the CVT housing. Another easy mod is to install a bed mat. I used a piece of 1/4" thick neoprene with made a noticeable difference. The drop in noise and change in noise frequency might not seem like a lot but after spending a day in the machine your body will appreciate it. Another easy improvement is a bed mat

5. My 660

My 660 New Member

Thanks xrrider,

I never even thought it was a defective parts problem, but I am the kind of person who needs to know the cause before I can understand the affect.
    I was in WV and rode it all weekend and I can see where the throttle control does have a lot of affect on the clanking noise. AND, I do understand the "backlash" term. I will continue to search for the actual component or components that is the culprit and then I can focus on doing things to make me understand it even more than you have so effectively explained to me. The T2 exceeded all of my expectations this past weekend while riding the very same trails we rode all the time in the RZR. Thanks again...MD

6. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like they have you covered MD, sorry I didn't check in sooner.

7. My 660

My 660 New Member

Yep somewhat. I do understand this "backlash" and how it can make a mechanical noise. I also used to hear a similar noise from the Grizzly 660 from what I thought was the drive-train brake chattering. This noise may be different. I just don't completely understand what precise component is making the noise. There are many other machines that are tight and quiet when the throttle is pressed and let off of.

I also hear what sounds like the springs slamming the shock back downward trying to keep the shock fully extended. The high-lifter springs on the RZR made that same noise when the springs would bounce back extending the shocks. BUT none of this explains where the clankity clank noise is originating from. As I ride it and listen to the characteristics of the noise, I will hopefully learn if the sound is coming from the drive shaft as it passes through the rear brake assembly, or something in the differential and axles. I just want to know the precise location or component that the noise is coming from.

I guess I'm the one that will always feel that cause and effect needs to be known and understood...MD

8. xrrider

xrrider New Member

My 660 hopefully someone else in the know will chime in but for now here are my thoughts The "differential" u speak of is not tech. correct. A diff. allows the two axles to rotate at different speeds. That does not happen on the Teryx. The rear end is really just a 90 degree gear box and this is i believe where the back lash noise comes from. It is usually between the pinion gear (input gear connected to the drive shaft) and whatever it meshes with. Of course the transmission may also have some play somewhere that adds to it. I think this is very likely. ???. I too would also like to know the exact parts involved that create the noise. I hate hearing/feeling shocks top out, it drives me nuts. Increasing your rebound damping should help and hopefully not cause the shock springs to "pack up" due to too much rebound. I have had shocks apart that have no rubber washer or anything inside to soften the impact of the shock fully extending. Some can be fixed by taking apart and install something such as rubber washers. I have installed limit straps (both home made and store bought) on quite a few machines and I think they are the best solution and surely save the shocks from the stress every time they top out. I have the Bandits now but dont remember the Foxes topping out.

9. My 660

My 660 New Member

Thanks Bluesman for the lengthy answer. The diff knowledge was good and it is good education. I probably should have known that as much as I read.

When I had the RZR with the high lifter springs I got from Ketter, the first time I rode it on the trail and had the front torsion bar removed, when I would turn a sharp switch back the stronger springs would push the shock out and bamm it would go. Well I seem to have heard a similar bamm on the rear when the rear would spring up in the air a little going over the crest of a hill. Not nearly as loud as the RZR, but still there. Maybe I made too much of the shock spring reaction and noise. I was just listening real hard for noises to figure out the clankity clank.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing we have talked about or any sound I have heard that will change my mind on the new ride. Maybe you missed my FB message to you asking what brand 2" lift kit you put on yours. I still would like to know.

Thanks again for the valuable from you and all posts...MD