Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Teryx Cheap mid/Long Travel Build

Discussion in 'Teryx Suspension Forum' started by deviant_illusion, Feb 27, 2015.

1. deviant_illusion

This is actually a really old thread but I still get questions about it often. I pulled the pics off the thread on teryx forum awhile ago because at the time the only correct answer to a question was; Ask a Vendor. Then I tried to organize a group buy on lights to save every one money they closed the thread. I said F-off get the vendors to post usable content then. Things have since died down because the after market cares very little about the teryx.

Anyways I have tons of info and it will likely take several days for me to get around to posting it all but Im going to get going on it.

Step one.

Get machined fittings for the pivot points and ball joint areas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step Two.

Build adjustable fixtures from stock arms.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  2. deviant_illusion

Step 3 adjust fixtures out 3 inches and build new arms.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TheStig, MattN03, Magellan and 4 others like this.
  3. deviant_illusion

Step 4 cut and extend axles.

[​IMG]

Step 5. Bend arms and band aid fix so you can still race.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MattN03, Butch450 and Bettykant like this.
  4. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Mad skills DI. That's great looking work.

5. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Awesome job. Were you on the staff there at one time? Curious cause your images are watermarked but on photobucket :confused:

6. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

MIKE_D likes this.
  7. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

Sub'd Been looking for (Right Coast Friendly) Mid-Travel. Great work!!!

8. GoodtimesGoodfriends

GoodtimesGoodfriends Active Member

That is brilliant! Couldn't one make an adjustable X and Y axis If one want to move centers forward and rearward as well? What's the method of bending A arms?

9. deviant_illusion

No before I started to use photobucket I hosted my images on teryx forums and they watermark them.

None What so ever

Yes you could. I did add +1.5" to the rear on my +5 arms I will get to at some point on this thread. The problem is with a rear steer vehicle adding wheel base to the front causes poor steering characteristics and bump steer. It may be fine for big lift kits where the suspension moves very little but for a mid/long travel setup I don't think the poor steering would be worth the trade off. Plus bump steer is really hard on these poor little steering racks and will snap them under the right circumstance.

GoodtimesGoodfriends likes this.
  10. deviant_illusion

So running stock shocks on +3 arms proved to be way, way, way to soft and the constant and hard bottoming out is what bent the upper arms. This being a budget build I decided to just make new ones and plate them. I also picked up a set of Radflo air shocks with a 5.5" stroke to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to cycle the suspension with the new shock to find the mounting point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I added some 11ga plate to the bottom arms with some dimple die action.

[​IMG]

All Painted up and Installed.

[​IMG]

11. deviant_illusion

Then it was time to deal with the rear. On the older T2 the shock angle sucked. You want your shock to be as close to 90* as you can at full bump. In order to make this happen I had to run a shock tower. I flipped the upper rear arms and built a tower to make the shock angle work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Of course I had to use my plotter to make some new stickers
    [​IMG]

I added some limit straps from the world famous Butches Speed Shop
    [​IMG]

Ran this set up for a while but ended up blowing a shock seal about 65 miles into a desert race. Major downside to airshocks blown seal = no suspension.
    [​IMG]

DLB and Butch450 like this.
  12. deviant_illusion

A Few action shots of the low budget mid travel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Butch450 likes this.
  13. deviant_illusion

More to come. But this is about the time shit started to get serious.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TheStig and Butch450 like this.
  14. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Huh, never knew they started doing that. Add another reason to my list of many things I hate about Forum Foundry owned sites lol. That's BS. The only images I have ever watermarked on our sites is the manufacturers press releases, staffs reviews, and winning contest images. Yes you are using our server space when uploading images, but I would never do that to a member unless I wanted to use an image to maybe advertise the site in some way. And then I would contact the member to ask before doing it.

15. deviant_illusion

If you attach them to a post they don't watermark them. But I hate attached images because they only show a small thumbnail in the post and then you have to click on the image to see the full image.
    They have always watermarked them if you upload them to the gallery. Gallery images can be linked with the html image code just like photobucket or any hosted image.

I get that they want to make money from the site I just hit the point where the site clearly became more about the money then the community. Lets face it with out contributing community members these online forums would not exist so I think it important to remember while the vendors may pay the bills and line the owners pocket it really the members that matter.

Butch450 likes this.
  16. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well typically you won't see that BS here or on Rocks and Ruts at least. Generally if we add vendors it's because they sponsor a contest, offer up good discounts to the membership everyday, or through groupbuys and we like them and their products. Gary and me kind of manage our sites from a member mentality so we aren't lining our pockets. Wish we were lol. I always believed and still do that the members come first and I consider myself a member as well, not just an owner. Sorry for the sidetrack lol.

TheStig and DLB like this.
  17. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Member

Thats cool Deviant! I've been thinking of making some +3 arched A-arms. just didn't know how to go about it. This will help me out a lot! :395826:

What size and Wall thickness did you use?

TheStig and GoodtimesGoodfriends like this.
  18. GoodtimesGoodfriends

I would like to know this too.
    Keep us posted Blue devil if you do take on this project as I am extremely interested in this.

19. deviant_illusion

I used 1.25" .120 wall CREW. As you can see it wasn't enough and the arms bent.

20. GoodtimesGoodfriends

If you had to do it over again what would you use?