Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Teryx Central for Android (Beta)

Discussion in 'Teryx Central Site Help and Comments' started by thegrizz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

images.png
    I have been working on the code for this most of the morning. I know several are die hard TapaTalk users. I refuse to use the application. And it's really not necessary.
    I developed an Android app that will deliver basic new forum posts and threads to your Android device. It is currently in Beta stage but is functional. This version should be available on the Google Play store in a few hours.

What it does? Teryx Central for Android is an App that allows the end user to receive the latest new threads to the forum. Further development is ongoing to allow all posts to display.

If you are interested in downloading it then feel free. I have been testing its stability and it works well. Here is a link to download it at your own risk.

Attached Files:

2. jschmidt

jschmidt Member

Looks like a great beginning. Clean interface. If new posts opened the thread at the new point, I would start using it just as it is.

So I'd say the two things it needs are logjn credentials and a proper new posts

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    thegrizz likes this.
  3. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

For operational security I dont want to create an API to log a user in. I really wanted it more for a push / notification tool. At the moment it only links to newly created threads.

4. jschmidt

jschmidt Member

Fair enough. I'm very happy with the web interface.

thegrizz likes this.
  5. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

Yea I can't stand TT. Wait until this place grows big because it is QUALITY. You would not believe how much load it puts on our cluster. I hate it. Members of my site LOVE it though. I hope the mobile version of the site helps the people who hate it get off of it. Mobile version is still in development.

Developing you own app, nice, I am impressed. Can you do one for iOS?

Butch450 and thegrizz like this.
  6. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice job Grizz! I agree with guys about tapa talk. The only thing I really like about it is the ease of uploading pics, but the mobile version of this forum is just as easy or easier.

7. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

Really the web interface is all you need. This once developed is intended to let people who download the app "Hey! There are new threads / posts".

TapaTalk these days seem to be a love / hate relationship. Ever since I originally deployed it on one of my old sites many years ago I hated it. But, at the time is was a necessary evil. Today, mobile phones are advanced enough. Let's face it, their mini computers. But with HTML 5 and responsive designs TapaTalk is becoming less necessary. As with anything, change and acceptance will always be slow.

Thank you. And yes, I am working on one currently for iOS. the Apple Store seems a little pickier on submissions though than Google.
    Why thank you sir. That was my issue as well with TT. It's why I never really used it since it wasn't completely functional.

8. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

@Magellan Do you run your own developer branded version of TT or the standard one on your site? I have always been curious to get someones perspective who runs the developer version to really here what the differences are...other than the cost obviously lol. People love it for a few reasons, (especially when it comes to forums running vB 4.2 or older)...
    It actually works faster on mobile devices on 3G (well...maybe not now since the app is messed up) You are able to upload images to posts from your mobile device (can't do that with vB 4.2 -). You don't see anything but the Forum Lists and Posts (well now they have the image gallery in app as well). Lets face it most people don't want to see the sidebar, header, ads, home page etc. I know personally there are a few Forums I just can't stand to visit anymore because of all the extra crap on them and I don't mean content wise. Running a few adds in the sidebar and top header and footer seems logical to me, but all these popup, and slidin and scrollin ads are getting fricin ridiculous. A site can have tons of information, ads, etc. and still look good too. Just seems no one knows how to, or cares to design a decent looking forum anymore. And the last reason most people love tapatalk is because no older forum software was responsive. No one wants to constantly keep expanding and shrinking their screen to hit tap targets and actually be able to read posts.

Are you custom coding a responsive mobile theme based on vB 3.8 or are you going to upgrade? MacRumors had a nice custom mobile suite done.

People are set in their ways. I honestly believe that TT users who use it exclusively probably will be lost forever once it's removed. Seeing it already on quite a few sites, even RnR.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015