Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'Teryx Central Site Help and Comments' started by thegrizz, Feb 27, 2015.

1. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm wondering what features some of you may be interested in. We're going to be activating a garage feature very soon.

There are currently some issues we have going on. One being Hotmail / MSN mail users aren't receiving message notifications. Another issue is with Verizon Wireless users are having site lag issues. This is being isolated.

So what other features are you interested in?

2. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I was wondering where the garage was. That's always a fun tool, or a depressing way to see how much money you've spent on your ride... Whichever way you look it at.

Bettykant and thegrizz like this.
  3. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

DLB likes this.
  4. Courage9027

Courage9027 Member

First of all thanks for this site, great group of people here already, now a couple suggestions: The New Posts tab seems to exclude the posts that you have previously viewed, which I assume is by design, but seems to go on and on if you haven't looked at the individual posts. This tab might be better with a cut off (perhaps a week). The Recent Activity tab which is a lot more usable than the New Post tab IMO seems to be not available after you've entered the Forums gateway and even under the Home tab it is hidden under the dots. Recent Activity tab IMO should be made more prominent and made available no matter which gate you enter. I'll suggest another in a second post. Thanks for your consideration.

5. Courage9027

Courage9027 Member

It's me again! Another suggestion: Is there any way of improving the internal search engine? For example: internal search for cvt returns nothing, external Google search for teryxcentral.com cvt yields tons of returns. And again I'm not trying to do anything but provide suggestions to improve the site and thanks again for providing this service.

6. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

@Courage9027 , thanks for the suggestions. I think the search is set so the keyword needs to be 4 letters at least. I'll check with gary to see why he has it that way and if we could change it. Searching clutch gives all the results you probably see in google.

As for the new post list I agree with you, I don't want to go in every thread to clear it from the list. I thought there was a cut off of 24 hours though so I'll check the settings and see what different options are available.

I personally never use the new post but instead use recent threads. In portrait view the menu bar is not going to change cause we are limited to how many tabs are visible and home, forum and showcase are what is important. But in landscape view I don't see why we can't make the recent threads tab visible and hide member classifieds. Unfortunately the sub nav tabs like the new posts tab can't be altered much without a rewrite of all the templates.

Courage9027 likes this.
  7. Courage9027

Courage9027 Member

Thanks for your considerations and explanations!

8. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

@Courage9027 I moved the Recent Threads Nav Tab over let me know if it now shows for you. I'll dig into the new posts option a bit later to see what I can do with it.

9. Courage9027

Courage9027 Member

Yeah seems to be working, I think this will be a lot faster, thanks again for being open to suggestions.

10. mrwvsportsman

mrwvsportsman Active Member

This darn showcase notification is about to drive me crazy. It shows up but you have no way of knowing why, what was added or anything. And nothing shows up under the recent activity tab either. If someone added something to a showcase shouldn't it show up as recent activity? So I have to click on about every topic in the showcase to get the notification to go away. Am I missing something still?

Butch450 likes this.
  11. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

The Showcase is a separate page and plug in developed by a 3rd party company so it does work differently than the Forum and it's notifications system. The red icon that displays over the showcase tab is an unviewed item counter, not really a notification alert like you receive for a watched thread reply or post like, etc. I have one option in the control panel for the feature, turn it on or off. I am going to turn it off for now simply because I really don't think it's needed at this time, and may not be in the future either. Also a list link will show in different pages under different menu tabs depending on what a member updates in their showcase item. Essentially when an item is updated by a member who adds a new mod to his list or adds a pic in his album, it will not show under the recent threads list, however it will show under the "Recent Activity" list (Activity Stream page) which is a sub menu link under the Member menu tab. If the item has a linked forum discussion associated with it, and a discussion post or reply is made for it, it will list under the recent threads list. A new Item being created should show in the lists as well so the unviewed counter icon should really not be needed.

The real issue with the unviewed counter icon is you can't simply mouse over it to see a list of what the items are and then have it go away like you can with the regular forum notifications. This is probably what you would like it to do as would I. Maybe in a future update from the developer this will be an option but for now it isn't. It kind of drives me a little crazy as well but unfortunately this is the only Garage style plug in available at this time, and it definitely offers more options than any forum garage plug in I have used before so we have to deal with it's few minor quirks. But like you already mentioned if we have the feature turned on, to make the icon go away you have to click into each showcase item associated with a notification to get them to clear. Probably won't matter much if it's off actually because if you are already watching an existing item you will receive a regular notification if it receives an update as long as you have your alert preferences setup to receive them in your settings.

To check what options are available for alert notifications from the showcase... mouse over your name in the main nav bar and click on Alert Preferences in the popup menu. Then scroll down to the Showcase section and you can turn off or on like 13 different alert options. These are the standard alerts that show on the flag in the nav bar over on the right.

mrwvsportsman likes this.
  12. mrwvsportsman

mrwvsportsman Active Member

Thanks Butch. Just made some adjustments. Will see how it does.