Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Site crashes on IOS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by deviant_illusion, Mar 12, 2015.

1. deviant_illusion

So I haven't been checking in here much because every time I try to open the site from my iPhone or ipad it locks up or crashes 95% of the time. I don't have this issue with any other web site. Anyone else seeing this issue?

thegrizz likes this.
  2. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes...I am having the same issue.

What iOS version are you running? I use my iPad nearly 80% of the time. I have found that it crashes on the immediate page load. My current work around is to use the default theme version.

I am anxious to hear what you find. This is good. I thought it was just my equipment having an issue.

3. deviant_illusion

version 8.1.2 on both my ipad and IPhone 5.

4. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

I think its a memory issue that's conditional with iOS 8+. I have an iPad 2 and upgraded to 8. It became a miserable time. This particular theme causes issues on my Ipad with iOS 8. I think its the way page is rendered and the poor memory allocation in the new version of iOS 8. Now on my wifes iPad 2 with iOS 7 I have 0 issues. Smooth as butter.

The default theme works well for me. Do you know how to get to it?

5. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

@deviant_illusion, I just updated to iOS 8.2 and the site seems stable on the dark theme. It hasn't crashed at all on me this morning using the aperture theme. You may want to give it a try.

6. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

I just updated to 8.2 but I haven't had any problems previously on my iPhone 6+. What vintage of hardware are you guys using?

7. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

@deviant_illusion has an Iphone 5 which I think is the newer processor. The 6's don't have the issue running the new iOS 8 because thats what the processor was designed for. When I originally upgraded to iOS 8 (before the dev. of this site) I had nothing but issues on all sites. This was a biggest mistake I made. It seems to get a tiny bit better with each new update but still nothing like running iOS 7 or below. I have a Gen II iPad. And a iPhone 4S which are both somewhat useless now. @Butch450 will attest, I used to be a huge Apple proponent. But sadly due to know development concepts and my problems, these will be the last iOS devices I ever own.

8. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

Apple just took the top spot back from Samsung so hopefully these type issues get resolved moving forward, otherwise it could hurt a lot of websites traffic I would think.

9. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Jesse I just see apple releasing updates on older devices that render them useless forcing customers to upgrade to their new products yearly lol. That's just my opinion though being a bit cynical lol. The Samsung Galaxy S6 should hit shelves in April so it should be interesting to see if they can grab the top spot back.

At this point there are probably only 3 full size flagship phones I would consider for purchase and they are all running Android. The MotoX 2nd Gen, Sony Xperia Z3 and the Google Nexus 6 are the closest Stock android experience phones you'll get without rooting them. The LG G3 has a pretty slick display with a great camera but I really don't care about the camera on my phones too much, and it just feels weird to me with controls on the back. I am not a fan of Samsung phones and hate all the extra bloat and their crappy proprietary touchwhiz bs.

I have been using the original MotoX and although not the greatest processing power, the phone is fast, stock android and runs great, is bloat free for a verizon phone, and the smaller size fits better in my pockets. The camera is passable but nothing compared to the Sony, LG, HTC or Apple cameras. The Sony Xperia Z3 compact would be my other choice for a smaller phone and I would have bought it over the MotoX except I am on Verizon and it's only available as att or t mobil here (GSM only). My daughter has the 5C and she loves it, but I hate it lol. She just had to have it even though there were plenty of other choices available to her. Hell I had that custom ipad mini from Can-am and gave it to my brother in law cause I hated it so much compared to my Nexus tablet.

I guess I am off topic a bit lol.

10. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm getting ready to update to 8.2 on my 6. No issues with the site? I just updated to 8.1.3 last week and the forum seems a little buggy now.

11. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

See... That's apples plan. Buy a perfectly good device and then release updates to break them lol.

thegrizz likes this.
  12. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't doubt that, but so far I'm really liking this 6.

13. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

DLB I haven't had any issues with the site ever on my 6+

14. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I just finished updating to 8.2. So far so good. The only issue I had was this: if I started typing a message with the phone in the upright position and then turned the phone into landscape mode to finish typing, the keyboard and forum tabs became unresponsive until I turned the phone back upright. I've been going back and forth typing this message and it seems to be working fine now. It's possible that I was due for a reboot. Everything seems much faster and responsive after the update and reboot.

TheStig likes this.
  15. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

I would say that is exactly what Apple is doing. Ensuring new sales by making the use of their older hardware pretty painful.

I love my iPhone 6+. I know of a few more bugs that have been in the beta versions as well. Like search contacts, search a letter where there is more than a screen full. Try to dial the bottom one on the list. It keeps self scrolling off. There are others.

So far 8.2 is working a little better. Had a weird issue at home yesterday when people called the phone would only ring once then drop the call as a missed call. Went into town on a different tower and problem gone.

16. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

I spent the better part of last night reading up on the subject. iOS 8.x was built around the new A7 and A8 (which are in production iPhone 6 models) processor. These things have nice processors (Dual core, 1400 MHz, Cyclone ARMv8-A 2nd gen., 64-bit) double the memory of my iPad at 512K with Dual core, 1000 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9 chip. This recent update to 8.3 seems to be the most stable of all the version 8 updates.

It all boils down to...I think the iOS has a lot of memory intensive bloatware now that the older machines have trouble with. Prior to 8.x update, I used to be able to do video editing. Not now.

The bad part...they nag you into upgrading. But never tell you hey this may not work well with certain older devices. Then they don't permit you to revert back if it fails to function efficiently. That is what pisses me off. So in essence... @Butch450 is likely accurate in his statement. But more so Apple simply doesn't care about messing up older units because it will work in their favor. At least a percentage of the sheep will return.

Furthermore...I see Apple slowly drifting from Steve Jobs' vision of a product. This vision in my opinion was what made Apple spectacular. Now there is not much other than marketing that sets them apart from say...Samsung.

17. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Think about it...Dual Core Processor, only 1MB of ram! Yes Apple finds creative ways of making their underpowered processors ( as opposed to any Android Flagship model specs on paper) run as quick as their Android competitors, but without the extra ram and faster processors they maybe are pushing their limits right out of the box? IDK maybe it's just me but I'll always choose a Quad core over a Duo, more ram, faster processor, when looking for a new computer. So for a new laptop it would be an i7 or i5 over i3, 16gb rams over 8gb, 2gb video memory over 1gb. Since these phones now are essentially mini computers shouldn't the thought process be the same?

18. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

I absolutely agree.

I do see more marketing hype than anything else. Prior to adding a lot more things that i have no use for Apple thought it was in my best interest to upgrade.

Yes...you arent required to perform the upgrade. However, if you have any Apple apps like iMovie or Garage Band they become useless eventually until you upgrade.

As mentioned...iPad performed flawless until I upgraded. Now its near useless.

Most of us do not need all the ram and processor these things have to surf the web. It needs streamlined and properly engineered software architecture.

19. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

So did @deviant_illusion ever update yet? Curious how it goes for him. I will say I see issues with their phones and non apple developed apps all the time with work. One of the manufacturers we use has an app for remote control of their security, lighting, environmental etc. and when setting up customers phones and demoing it to them it never works right on their 5 and even the new 6 is slow. The app gets buggy, crashes, disconnects or when it does work it simply is so much slower than my work phone which happens to be a Note 2 running Android kit kat 4.4.4 I have given up on demoing on their phones and just use mine and set their's up for it.

20. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

This last update added support for Apple watch. I haven't noticed anything else. I'd say it will be awhile before Apple bricks the iPhone 6 with an update. Not a lot of info on the next gen yet.

My next iMac will be spec'd out. My late 2009 iMac is still chugging along but I would do more video editing if it had more speed. I'm just waiting on Apple to pick up the broadwell chip.