Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

RotopaX

Discussion in 'Teryx Talk' started by Ride, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Ride

Ride Member

Finally decided to bite the bullet and buy the most expensive gas-can I've ever bought.:38: Especially after I asked a certain 9-year old if he had gas in his quad. He said "Yes" 10 mins. later.................Out....sheesh.
    [​IMG]

thegrizz and TimN like this.
  2. TimN

TimN Member

Is that the 1 gallon can? I have looked at them on line and I don't really see a good place for one on a T4. There isn't any room in the bed without anything in it. By the time you purchase the bracket and the can it is expensive . I figure I will strap a five gallon can in the bed and call it done.

3. Ride

Ride Member

It's a 1.75 Gal.

4. TimN

TimN Member

I like it perhaps I will run into someone on a trail that has one so i can put my hands on it and look for a place to mount it.

5. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

I carry a 2.5 gallon regular style plastic jug. I understand the risk, the rotopax is much safer.

6. TimN

TimN Member

What is the risk? I'm probably over looking somthing.

7. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

I think maybe leaking or rupturing during a roll or such.

TimN likes this.
  8. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes. The gas jugs most of us use are just cheap lawn and garden units. If they leak for any reason be it poor design or an accident they are most likely right over the exhaust and then BOOM!!!

TimN likes this.
  9. TimN

TimN Member

Thanks guys that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought about the exhaust directly under the bed.

10. jschmidt

jschmidt Member

There's some chance fuel will ignite if drips on a hot exhaust, but not much. If it flows it won't ignite. And there is no circumstance where gasoline will explode.
    It won't ignite if you through a cigarette at it either. Looks good on TV though.

11. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

It's the vapor that you can worry about and yes when fuel spills their is vapor which will ignite.

12. jschmidt

jschmidt Member

Vapor goes up, like any other lighter than air gas. And it requires a flame source or spark to ignite.

But I really don't want to argue on the side of carelessness. No one ever went wrong by being safer than necessary. I don't deliberately drip fuel on my exhaust, even though I am confident it will just evaporate.

13. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

:08:This is a great idea you have schmidt!!!! Let's do a myth busters show, using your machine of course.

14. TimN

TimN Member

I am familiar with ignition points for fuels gasoline will go into auto ignition at around 495 degrees F. I work in the natrual gas field and the ignition temp for natural gas is about twice as much. You don't need spark only fuel, oxygen,and heat in the right proportions. I could see a situation where the fuel leaks down to the frame and lays on the skid plate and as the exhaust heats up it evaporates mixing with the air and when the exhaust get to the correct temperature you will have a fire.

15. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

DING!!! Thank you!! I'll be here all night!

16. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Rotopax are nice. I don't have one, but I should. I'm still sporting the lawn mower can too.

17. TimN

TimN Member

Does anyone have one on a T4 and can share some mounting options with photos?

18. Ride

Ride Member

Tim just do a Google-search for "RotopaX T4 mounting pics". There's a bunch out there.

TimN likes this.
  19. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure how they mount, but I thought where the crossmembers meet on the rear part of the cage would be a good spot.

20. TimN

TimN Member

I thought about that but I don't like the idea of a couple of gallons of gas above my girls head. I have an EMP front bumper with a hoop. I wonder if it would cause the engine to overheat if it was mounted inside the hoop between the hood and bumper.