Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Handgun Size Comparison

Discussion in 'Guns and Ammo' started by Magellan, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

Of course not all these are mine. But it is cool to see some size comparisons especially if you carry.

OK first up. Sig p220 top, then Ruger LCP, Sig P229 .40, and finally Browning BDA .380 in Nickel Plate. Of course that is my wife's she has had it for over 20 years. Hard to find, SWEET shooting high capacity setup.
    IMG_0973.jpg

OK next up. Kimber Ultra Compact CDP, Ruger LC9, Ruger LCP. I got ride of the Kimber as my wife and I both had one and they were pieces of shit for the money honestly. One had a bad grip safety which of course they replaced for free and were "very sorry" but that is unacceptable with a .45 when you have family and carry it to protect them. I got rid of the LC9 because it is too Californicated for me with the shark fin and all the key to break down bullshit.
    IMG_0995-2.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg

Next up, Kimber Solo next to Solo CDP. The CDP is the one that goes to Kimbers "Custom Shop" I also put nicer wood grips on the Solo. The Solo CDP comes with them.
    IMG_0028.jpg

Next up some Glocks. Glock 30 and single stack Glock 36. BIg difference huh? Both .45 and work great. Both have 1K round trigger jobs on them. In NC, doing the trigger may make you liable to some... sad
    IMG_0866.jpg

Another shot of my Kimber Solo CDP, yea I got the gay edition with the "LASER shark guided whatchamacallit" ask Dr. Evil about it. (PS... When I say gay, I don't mean homosexual, I mean weird, odd, out of place, wish I did not have the gayzer OK. I am no bigot) No offence intended to any orientation, live and let live, ,my group of friends are at least half gay. ;)
    IMG_0952.jpg

My daughter (pilled up have not seen her for 2.5 years). I bought this to give to her. Awesome .357, and good to carry, I have a Galco IWB and some brand in pocket holster for it. Shooting it hurts, but if you have to use it it will hurt the receiving end a lot worse than your hand. WAY over priced, I paid over 700 for it new.
    IMG_0265.jpg

Oh well, that is it for now, need to post more Teryx content. You guys with a few tools, post up some size comparison shots, Always good to know before you go to buy what the real deal is.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    MIKE_D likes this.
  2. Kawi4life

Kawi4life Member

For my use as a carry weapon I will choose either a commander size 1911 or a Glock 23. I have good sized hands and any of the sub compact handguns do not fit me well. My wife has the new glock 42 in .380 and she likes it very well. Actually it is the first auto pistol she has liked. Until she tried the 42 she always carried an old m36 SW 38 special.

MIKE_D and Courage9027 like this.
  3. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

People laugh at you when you carry cheap Glocks... I have a lot of things but I carry Glock riding because it just works. All you have to do is learn how to clean and lube it, maybe get a trigger job depending on what state you live in and they work. Sucks but true unless you are in a high level of accuracy and compete or something. I think my G 30 will defend a fe people and everybody I ride with on Federal Land here in NC TN carry so, the time when Rusty and I thought we were about to be robbed and hauled ass is not that much of an issue anymore. Not saying it wont happen, just saying, I am glad we have protection and backup protection.

4. Kawi4life

Kawi4life Member

You are right Magellan, there is a lot of Glock haters out there. All I know is I have never had one fail on me and I have used them in three gun competition and IDPA. I never got beat in competition because the gun did not perform (operator maybe) LOL. They are not pretty or flashy which I think is another reason they get a bad rap.

MIKE_D likes this.
  5. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

I am to fat to carry big stuff. You are lucky. Glad to hear about the 42. I will look for a pic on google. I have some bad ass .380 +p rounds and I am thinking about it as a pocket gun. What is a GOOD price on one?

My hands are big too, but I am to big to carry much larger unless in back and they need to be sub compacts. Unless it is winter and I have a huge coat on, I am kinda limited due to not hitting the elliptical I have staring me in the back when I am at my desk. :(

I can tell you right now, the Kimber Solo with +p defense ammo is a bad ass and accurate tool. At 50 feet it is dead on. I have about 1K rounds through it, they say from the factory it takes 400 to break it in, they also say it is not that tolerant of +p what I carry in it, but who cares, if it gets the job done then so be it. If I have to replace it, I will.

Question is do you need more than 6 rounds since you have to load the POS kimber mags 1 round short for it to feed the second round???? In NC, two hits is not excessive. Who knows how it will go over the next few years, God only knows.

6. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

Yea mine just work. Sure they look like POS's but they work. Rain or shine. When you plan a trip you go, rain or shine. Having a piece and exercising your legal right to protect you and your riders who you have a responsibility to keep safe is what you need to do. People are getting to where they steal anything these days to keep from having to go to work. That time with Rusty taught me that even before I had a carry permit, I still carried, I was scared, they had guns on them which is legal in TN to open carry just like NC, but intimidating people. Rusty pulled up to me and said do you thin they are going to try to rob us, and I was like hell yea, he said GTFO and we punched it. Glad we did.

7. Kawi4life

Kawi4life Member

That's why I will not go to a large riding area without multiple other bikes. To many a**holes out there with bad intentions. You then add alcohol on top of that it gets even worse.

8. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

Ye and I like to have a few beers or a few lemon drops or whatever people have, I provide the ride, my riders provide the lube. I don't have time or energy to mess with the thieves. I hope I never get the the point where we have to be like you are saying what and get in offensive positions to deal with it. As you know where you and us ride both, a helicopter would be quite a ways from where the thieves are hiding and trying to surprise you. I think ROyal Blue Cumberland trails you are banned even with a carry permit. Still waiting for an email back to be sure. If I can't exercise my rights then it moves to somewhere else. Windrock, with a permit you got no problems unless you act the fool.

Me either. 10 years ago, I would take my quad anywhere by myself, maybe young and stupid but I did wear a helmet... like unless it hit my head would not do shit. Now after that experience and a couple others with hunters with rifles in the thick woods, I ain't playing anymore.

9. Ar15a2

Ar15a2 Member

Man I gotta get in my safe for sure now. I'll have time this week. I remember the first time I saw a glock. I laughed. I love them now. I carry a 27 . If I had it to do over woulda prolly got a 9mm. The .40 mini glock is no fun to shoot. I like it though cuz it always goes bang. When it gets all full of sand/dirt I can just strip it and spray it out with wd40 if I need to.i also have an old g20. My fav auto I have though is my h&k usp. I like my walther p99 a lot too.i don't usually carry a gun that nice tho, and I'll never buy any gun for defense smaller than a 9mm. Just my opinion

Magellan likes this.
  10. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

I used to work with a guy overseas that carried a .22 for self defense. He was in the russian army and they trained them to use .22 in operations. But...they also only trained for headshots. IT all about perspective.

This is the first time since the military that I have owned a 9 mike. It's always been .40 or .45 for SD. My issue with the .45 is weight. once loaded .240g jacketed HP's get heavy no matter how lightweight of weapon you have over 1/4 pound extra.

Now I am looking at 9mm because ammo is much more readily available. It's cheaper to shoot. Most LEO's use it. Only seemed like a logical choice to me.

11. Ar15a2

Ar15a2 Member

Well, a .22 may have a very limited tactical application. It's not a viable round for self defense. The really meaningful advances in 10 years or more have been in ammo more than guns. The 9mm round of today is much more effective than the 9mm of 20 years ago.

Magellan likes this.
  12. Ludicrous Speed

I also agree that a .22 is too small for self defense, but if you have a gun pointing at someone, they aren't gonna look at the barrell and say"Go ahead and shoot me, it is only a 22!"

I have a small .380 that I hate, but it can make a good BU gun because of it's size. I prefer 9mm

13. Ar15a2

Ar15a2 Member

Most times when a gun is fired in self defense it's within 3 feet of the assailant. There isn't time to bluff, and the only way to stop a determined attacker is through massive sudden blood loss. A.22 won't do that.

14. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

The report and sudden pain or even the idea of sudden pain is usually enough to convince someone otherwise that i potential gunshot wound wont be fun. Usually. But just as @Ar15a2 mentioned, you need to maximize tissue damage and shock for those that can't be dissuaded.

15. Bettykant

Bettykant Member

I stumbled on some videos on YouTube called first person defender by gun talk media. They teach force on force training in real life scenarios. Looks pretty cool. It's sad you have to carry a weapon to protect yourself and family out having fun riding trails like that. I hope it doesn't come to that around here because I generally drink a bit while we ride and don't wanna be the drunk with a gun if something were to happen but I guess if it puts me in jail and my wife and daughter back home so be it.

16. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I took a class several years ago and the intructor swore he'd never carry anything other than a .22 mag J frame. He gave a compelling argument, but I stuck with either .45 or .40. He said the next best thing to a .22 mag is a .40. He basically said it's all about velocity when it comes to a self defense gun.

17. TimN

TimN Member

As a hunter I have been studying bullet velocity vs wound channel and the velocity allows more energy to be dumped into the target and wound channel causes blood loss. If enough energy is placed in the game it will be like a prize fighter getting hit and knocked out. Wound channel causes blood loss keeps the game from living long. It's tough to find a middle ground but I will go for wound channel. So my latest purchase was a .45. I'm a pretty big guy so carrying the weight and controlling the recoil isn't too bad. Although this summer I will likely carry my wife's .38 airweight. It's a sweet little gun.

18. Critter

Critter Member

Nice pieces Magellan. I carry a Springfield XDM 9mm. I love to shoot my Sig Scorpion 1911 and the Smith 627 8 round revolver (their version of a 1911 in a wheel gun). When a person is riding trails you gotta have a varmint gun with you :)

thegrizz likes this.
  19. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

My EDC is either a S&W M&P 9C in a Crossbreed Supertuck, or in light clothing situations my trusty little Bodyguard .380 in a DeSantis Pocket Holster. I'll try to find some pics here...

Here's my Fullsize M&P 9, The 9C and the BG .380..
    iphone 5 pics as of New Years eve 2014 107.JPG

MIKE_D and Courage9027 like this.
  20. Courage9027

Courage9027 Member

M&P full size 9 & 45. Smooth shooters.

TheStig and MIKE_D like this.