Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Forum Ride?

Discussion in 'Eastern Regional Rides and Events' started by mrwvsportsman, Feb 25, 2015.

?

Forum Ride Location Poll

1. Williamson, WV (Buffalo Mtn)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Logan, WV (Rock House)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ashland, WV (3 HMTs & Outlaws)

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Charleston, WV (Sanderson)

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Windrock Park, TN

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. Royal Blue, TN

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Trails End Campground, Huntsville, TN

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. Black Mtn, KY

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Brimestone, KY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Spearhead Trails, VA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mrwvsportsman

mrwvsportsman Active Member

I agree with DLB, we need to do a forum ride. I know this is a new forum, but I already know there are a lot of good guys on here to like to get out and get it done. Any thoughts on locations? I'm good for southern WV, possibly KY. I would even organize/lead at Bergoo, WV but lodging is the main problem with it. Elk Springs Resort is the only lodging and if it is in trout season, rooms are hard to come by.

thegrizz and DLB like this.
  2. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm down. I'd be happy to lead a ride near Charleston too. Could start an annual ride and change it up every year if we wanted to. Anyone who has ridden Sanderson knows how good those trails are. We could ride all day and never hit all the trails. Plenty of hotels around Charleston too. If we plan the ride in the summer, there are lots of events that go on along the Kanawha river in Charleston. Live at Levee is pretty popular. Music, food and beer (if folks came on Friday and we rode Sat) There is a Sleep Inn not far from where we start our rides. Plenty of parking and has a good restaurant attached.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    thegrizz likes this.
  3. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

Everyone kick around some locations and ideas and whatever one seems the most popular we can then make a new thread to get down to the specifics. I know several of us are buying annual passes to Windrock this year and Windrock has some excellent riding, 72,000 acres worth! They also have some excellent lodging options.

4. XMickeyX

XMickeyX Member

Windrock is an awesome place to ride.

5. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

TWRA leaving Trails End Campgrounds 150,000 acres. ( www.camptrailsend.com ) I am game for pretty much anything other than gravel roads.... With the many different skill levels among a larger group, a tame canvas might be better. Windrock, Royal Blue, and Black Mountain come to mind... Myself I prefer the more technical trails but I don't want to get anyone in over their heads. Vote it UP! I'M IN!!!

6. mrwvsportsman

mrwvsportsman Active Member

6.5 hours to camptrailsend. Looks very nice! I'd like to try it sometime. About the same for Windrock. I have always wanted to try it. Heard great things about it. And pretty much the same for Ride Royal Blue. I would personally have to be out for any of these this year. With a trip to Maine already scheduled, it would have to be more local for me. But I will support whatever the majority decides.
    There are MILES and MILES of outlaw trails around the HMT system that you don't have to pay to ride. That could be a possibility as well.

7. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

I've heard Royal Blue is more of a family type, easy trails place. Not sure what everyone is into. Personally I like the roughest stuff I can find but that's just me, lol.

MIKE_D likes this.
  8. dwhst9

dwhst9 New Member

I'd love to hit up Sanderson...haven't been there yet. Easy drive down from Pittsburgh and would be fun meeting some Teryx owners. My T4 has all of 2 miles on it right now! Descent choice of restaurants and lodging in South Ridge (South Charleston). We've stayed at the Hampton Inn there many times when riding the northern HMT trail systems.

DLB and thegrizz like this.
  9. Kawi4life

Kawi4life Member

I am down for whatever. Sounds like a good time, I am about 5 hrs from Charleston in SE KY and many others who have chimed in this thread are about the same. Sounds like Black Mtn in Harlan Ky or an area around Pikeville, Ky may be about halfway for most of all of us. I don't know anything about the WV outlaw trails but maybe we need to make a poll and just vote on it.

10. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Here are the suggestions so far
    Bergoo, WV
    Charleston, WV (Sanderson)
    Julian, WV (Little Coal River/Ivy Branch)
    Ashland, WV (Indian Ridge/Pinnacle Creek/Pocahontas & Outlaws)
    Logan, WV (Rock House/BearWallow)
    Williamson, WV (Buffalo Mtn)

Windrock Park, TN
    Royal Blue, TN
    Black Mountain, Harlan Co, KY
    Trails End Campground, Huntsville, TN
    Spearhead Trails, VA

The trails highlighted in red are all Hatfield McCoy locations: http://www.trailsheaven.com

I think this gives us plenty to consider. Everyone do some research on these places and we'll start a poll at some point.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    MIKE_D likes this.
  11. Kawi4life

Kawi4life Member

I think that just about covers most of the NE Tn, E KY, and SW WV areas.

12. explorer

explorer New Member

I'm in as long as I can get the time off and don't have any conflicts.

What about the Spearhead Trails in VA?

13. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Moderator
    Staff Member

Which of these have campgrounds? I would make a weekend of it with the toyhauler.

14. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll add that to the list for people to research.

I want to say all but Bergoo and Sanderson, and I'm not sure what's in Pikeville.

15. MattN03

MattN03 Member

If it was close enough, I might be able to make a day trip. We're heading to Utah for 8 days for our 10 year wedding anniversary in June, and I'm buying land, so I'm broke & have no vacation time left...lol

Magellan likes this.
  16. Kawi4life

Kawi4life Member

Well when I suggested something around Pikeville I was referring to the HMT trails in the area, Buffalo Mtn, etc.

17. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok, wasn't sure. I haven't been to buffalo mtn yet.

18. dwhst9

dwhst9 New Member

Buffalo Mtn is one of my favorite HMT trails. They have a large playground area on top of the mountain with incredible views and fun hill climbs.

Kawi4life likes this.
  19. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Fun as in "Safe and Fun"? Or Fun as in "Holy Crap I Think I Just Shit Myself Doing That Fun"? :)

Chances are I won't be up for riding my quad yet (if ever again lol), but might be good to tag along as a passenger with DLB or Jesse. I have surgery scheduled on 3/27 so I'll have to see how long after until I get clearance to be walking without crutches. If the timing is good I would definitely try to drive down for this.

Kawi4life and DLB like this.
  20. muddyrex

muddyrex Member

I was planning on doing the forum ride with another forum that will remain nameless. It was scheduled for Windrock. That looked pretty badass. I was ready for the 8 hr drive. Give me another reason to load up the trailer :)