Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Any Homemade Bbq Rubs

Discussion in 'What's Cooking?' started by thegrizz, Jan 31, 2015.

1. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

Looking for a really good rub for pork butts and ribs. I use a Green Egg to smoke. Would like to mix up a large batch for use anytime. Any opinions?

2. Ar15a2

Ar15a2 Member

I make BBQ. People say it's good. I make rub for pork/chicken. I use Montreal steak seasoning for all things beef.my wife makes a sauce to compliment the rub. I won't give my recipe out but.......... Start with a basic rub recipe.add xtra dark( only use dark) brown sugar, and paprika. Dial the salt back a bit. From there it's just what u like.i try and give it a bit of all BBQ types. Cumin,black pepper ,chili powder, even celery seed.just play with it.

thegrizz likes this.
  3. Ar15a2

Ar15a2 Member

Here's something I will tell you. Pork or chicken I inject with lemon juice. I've tried all kinda of stuff. Acid is what you want to go to work on the meat. Lemon juice is full of acid. It doesn't taste like u think it would. It works great. Beef briskets I inject with coca cola.i feel like I should add a pic here. Since I have no BBQ pics here are my wife's homemade, state fair blue ribbon winning chocolate covered moonshine cherries lol image.jpg

4. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm gonna try the lemon juice next time I do a pork butt.

5. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm in for this thread. Always willing to try a new recipe.

6. GoodtimesGoodfriends

GoodtimesGoodfriends Active Member

Me too!!!

DLB likes this.
  7. Ar15a2

Ar15a2 Member

I love to cook, but I only do certain things . I started selling BBQ a few years back and had to quit. It got to be too much real fast. About a year or so later I got my property in lee county , got my teryx. Never thought about selling food again. I use an offset smoker and a wood fire . I like pecan or apple wood the best. Here are my 3 rules for BBQ success:
    1: don't be hungry when you BBQ
    2: never ever be in a hurry
    3: always, always make it with love
    Those are the three most important things

thegrizz and DLB like this.
  8. Ludicrous Speed

Everyone is so secretive! LOL

9. GoodtimesGoodfriends

I also use apple and pecan wood in a side fire box for indirect heat. We have a small pecan orchard so mainly pecan. I use a version of a recipe I got off the internet, with the main difference being the rub I use, but I seem to be having trouble when trying to paste URLs. If I cook ribs, about halfway through (roughly 3hrs), I do what is called a Texas crutch which is nothing more than wrapping the ribs in tin foil for 30 minutes (no longer unless you like mushy falling off the bone) with a little bit (1/3cup) of Apple juice. Remove tin foil being careful to retain drippings for later. Cook ribs for roughly another 3 hrs; all this assumes you have a fire box or some means of keeping a constant indirect temp of 220-250. I have an inexpensive ($450ish) smoker and it does well. If you like baked beans prep them up the way you like in a foil/metal baking tin and and place them under the ribs after you remove the Texas crutch; any sooner and they become greasy with too much drippings. They will have an awesome smoky, barbecue flavor. As a matter of fact I had an Old lady (my buddies mom l) get upset with me at a small rib off we had because nobody touched her large pot of famous baked beans but killed mine. What can you say?
    Anyway, back to ribs! Now to make a candied glaze. Wait til ribs are almost done to make this glaze.
    In a saucepan add
    -Texas crutch drippings
    -1/2 cup apple juice
    Cook down to about 1/3 cup over medium high heat
    Now, while still over heat, add 1/4 cup pure maple syrup and stir
    Continue to heat until it starts foaming pretty good and remove from heat immediately. If you don't it will turn hard.
    Add a teaspoon or three of hot sauce and a little salt.
    Paint on ribs over direct heat (I transfer to gas grill or side box), being careful not to burn, until the glaze starts to bubble. Don't get carried away with the glaze as it is just suppose to be a thin layer of hot-sweet, candied crust. I serve with barbecue sauce on the side as most never use it.
    After all that, I am cooking some today lol

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    DLB likes this.
  10. GoodtimesGoodfriends

Now.......let's hear some of these top secrete rubs, lol. I have tried many but the place up the road has an awesome rub that's hard to beat, so I use it. Always up for new recipes though

11. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

My mouth is watering after reading that GTGF. It's 10:45am and I'm starving now. Thanks...:D

GoodtimesGoodfriends likes this.
  12. GoodtimesGoodfriends

I am at the store l picking up supplies lol

DLB likes this.
  13. GoodtimesGoodfriends

I have to eat first though as I don't want to break ar15s rule #1 lol. Barbecue does require patience.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  14. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

@GoodtimesGoodfriends I use he same method for my ribs on the green egg. Tried many methods but this takes it. Only thin different with the wrap is I add a touch of butter to each foil wrapped rib. Without the butter they're great, with the butter they're succulent.

I do the same with the bbq sauce on the side. But I will use some of that juice as you mentioned and mix up a small batch of pulled pork bbq sauce using the drippings. I have no specific recipe other than maple syrup, honey, jalapeno ketchup. I fry 4 strips of bacon crisp, crumble the bacon, heat the sauce till combined. Add the crumbled bacon and then pour in a blender and purée.

15. GoodtimesGoodfriends

Very nice! Pickle juice rocks in barbecue sauce as well. Never tried the butter in crutch or bacon in sauce but I will. Thanks!

thegrizz likes this.
  16. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

Bacon goes good with anything!

GoodtimesGoodfriends likes this.
  17. GoodtimesGoodfriends

It really does. I used to tease around and say I put bacon on ice cream and now someone does lol

thegrizz likes this.
  18. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

If you are on FB message Toby Howard and ask him or maybe I will get time to and post it. That man is the grill and smoker king, although Matt can do some butt as well. We should have asked those guys next door last year who had their shit parked outside and just hung out and partied all day to keep an eye ont he temp of Matt's smoker, although..... they probably would have forgot. ;)

19. GoodtimesGoodfriends

Here's what's up for tomorrow. Got the membrane pulled off, oiled and rubbed. I usually do baby backs but where I get them is out, so spare ribs it is.

KIMG0373.jpg

thegrizz likes this.
  20. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

Nothing wrong with spare ribs. I personally think they have more meat on them and if prepared properly are as good as the baby backs.