Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to Teryx Central. Teryx Central is your #1 Kawasaki Teryx Resource. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Any coyote hunters here?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by DLB, Feb 25, 2015.

1. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I just started getting into it during the past year or so. I have a few friends around here who hunt and trap them quite a bit. Their movement around my place is very sporadic, so I haven't had any luck yet. Heading out in a few hours to try and call one in.
    PRMS0102.JPG PRMS0163.JPG PRMS0286.jpeg PRMS0288.jpeg

Butch450 and thegrizz like this.
  2. TimN

TimN Member

I enjoy shooting at them. I do kill a few I may try my luck Friday I just need to get my AR back from my brother. Good luck post some pics if you get one.

3. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Tim. Will definitely post pics if I have any luck. I enjoy being in the woods regardless so won't be a total loss either way. Please post pics here too when you take one. Would like to see how guys have their rifles setup also. I have a .223/5.56 I'm using tonight but also a 6.8 I built for deer. May try it on the varmints someday.

4. TimN

TimN Member

I have a Windham Weaponry 223/5.56. I have a Nikon 223 Ar scope with the BDC Reticle and Ar specific scope mount. I haven't hunted with it as of yet in the past I used my 243 or 22-250. If I can get out this week I will post pics. I really enjoy getting into the woods especially after a snow. It allows me to really see where my deer are traveling and on good days I see a few elk.

5. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

I used to hunt them. At one point I tried the long range rifle. No-Go! Then I went to the AR-15. I was getting a few but missing a lot. Finally decided to settle with a Beretta Semi 12 with 3" mags. Those suckers can run quick when you have the right call.

6. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

We had them all around us tonight, just couldn't get a clear shot. Most of the excitement happened during the first 10 mins of our stand. Going to let things settle down for a week or so and give it another shot.

7. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

I didn't hunt it but I found it while riding my Teryx, does that count?

image.jpg

Butch450 likes this.
  8. TimN

TimN Member

Well bummer. Hopefully I can get out Friday. It's just fun to hear them working with each other coming in to a call. Some friends of mine hunt at night with shotguns and red lights. I have never tried it but I bet it would be blast.

9. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree. It's exciting having them come in like that. Can't wait to get back out. I've been shopping for a good red light actually. We used night vision scopes and binos tonight, but they limit your field of view quite a bit.

Jesse, that would have counted if you had ran it over. ;)

TheStig likes this.
  10. TheStig

TheStig Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually I did on the way back in after dark, lol didn't see it, does that count?

TimN and DLB like this.
  11. Bettykant

Bettykant Member

I like coyote hunting fixing to get good around the house calves start dropping they find the after birth. Gets them moving pretty good. I'd really like a red fox but we don't have too many around here. I usually use my 22-250 but those 12 gauge coyote loads look like they pack a punch!

12. Magellan

Magellan Active Member

We have a bunch of coyote around here and I wish someone would shoot more. They keep away from my place as I shoot to much in my yard even the crows avoid it here.

13. Bettykant

Bettykant Member

2015-02-28 18.19.08.jpg This is how I'm gonna start running them down lol. Just mount her right there

Magellan and DLB like this.
  14. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Good looking rifle. That's some serious glass you have there.

15. deviant_illusion

I enjoy hunting them and get out fairly often. They are actually my favorite thing to hunt.

Magellan likes this.
  16. Bettykant

Bettykant Member

Yea too serious for my needs and didn't perform well. It's gone looking at nightforce pretty hard right now. Vortex seems good but they seem hit and miss read a lot of canted reticles and people having to use the good warranty they come with. The warranty almost sells me but the one time I need the warranty will be a once in a lifetime shot lol. My family is from north east Kansas they run coyotes with dogs now that's a blast

What kind of calls do yall like to use? I always used mouth calls then bought a fox pro and loved it until everyone around here decided to get into it and they got call shy so back to mostly mouth calls.

17. DLB

DLB Moderator
    Staff Member

Hard to go wrong with a nightforce. I've read mixed reviews on some of the Vortex scopes too, but overall they seem to be well liked. I almost bought a vortex 1-4 recently, but went with a Leupold 2-7x33 VRX ballistic firedot instead. I wanted a little bit more magnification for my 6.8. Also picked up a Bushnell AR optics 1-4x24 illuminated FFP for my 5.56. Not a bad little scope, considering the price. I replaced an aimpoint with it. The aimpoint will hopefully be going on another build soon.

I'm only doing mouth calls right now; basically just a cottontail distress, but a friend of mine has a knock off fox pro that the coyotes seem to be responding to very well right now. I'd like to have a fox pro.

18. Bettykant

Bettykant Member

Bushnell has some nice stuff in the upper end like the elite and elite tactical stuff. I'm still u sure if what I'll end up with. I know i dont need ffp if I absolutely had to range with it the few times it'd be I would be fine using the reticle. Power range I'm looking for in the 3-15 4-20. Would like 50mm objective and 30mm tube swfa 3-15x44 is quite nice too..

19. deviant_illusion

This is my homemade call. I used a wireless Mic small amp and a horn. I keep a 7ah battery in the bag and it runs it all day. Works great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TimN, Magellan and DLB like this.
  20. jschmidt

jschmidt Member

I don't shoot anything that eats packrats. Well except the occasional Diamondback that thinks my yard is his yard.